Marvel or DC- Can Anyone Agree?

Marvel or DC- Can Anyone Agree?

Jamie Irigoyen

MARVEL OR DC- CAN ANYONE AGREE?

For many of us, the Marvel and DC universes have such an impact and are undoubtedly the most inspiring and the most watched movies. They catch the attention of all audiences by giving us incredible action packed scenes, humor, emotion, and amazing plots. However, many have argued that one is better than the other when it comes to their movie series and also their comics.

The DC movie series is known for superheroes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, The Flash, Aquaman, Shazam, and many more to come considering the amount of superheroes in their comic books. It has been such an incredible remaking of the classic DC characters from the comics and has also kept original concepts from the original stories, costumes, and characters. These DC characters have been classics and loved by many. However, even though some think DC is better than Marvel, many argue that Marvel is definitely better. “I just feel like the Marvel movies are much more well rounded than DC. They have a better balance of action, drama and comedy. DC movies just fail to grab my attention the same way,” hospitality teacher Mr. Dudo said. “Marvel has better live action movies,” Sophomore Jaden Carmen-Miles said.

On the arguing side though, there are different opinions about the Marvel Universe truly being more intriguing. Freshman Steven Mata said that DC comics are more interesting and their characters are more creative in his eyes, and that the DC Universes are more correlated and bend into other comics, Marvel has new characters but they become more irreverent. Which also brings up the fact that even Marvel fans can’t help but bring up the iconic DC villains such as the Joker, Bane, Lex Luther, General Zod, Darkseid, the Riddler, Two-face, and many more. “I would rather watch Marvel because although DC has good villains, Marvel still has better superheroes and plots,” Sophomore Aracely Cluck said. So, with that being said, even though there has definitely been more defense to the Marvel side of this argument,  it is agreed that the nostalgia of DC villains and such cannot be matched. DC is and always will be a true look back into the past and will continue to be iconic to even future generations.

Marvel is known for its superheroes Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Hulk, Spider-Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, and much more. The Avengers series has also, like DC, been the most multi-generational series and has by far been the most popular series throughout the world.  “Avengers is just a classic that lights a match to a dynamite of event,” Greenway student Loralei Ward said. However, it has not just been the Avengers series that has gained Marvel’s popularity. Marvel has released multiple shows such as Loki, Wanda-Vision, and their newest show yet, Moon-knight. DC has not made any shows such as these. Junior Omar Lopez also adds in defense of Marvel that DC has joker, it has batman, but it hasn’t been able to establish a unified universe that’s good.

According to the article “Is Marvel or DC better?” by fantasy sci-fi writer Scott Woods, when it comes to film quality, there has been a different opinion in defense of DC. Woods has added that “According to rotten tomatoes, the number one voted superhero film across the Tomato-meter and the audience score is Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight has also been voted as the 4th best film ever made according to IMDB, losing only to the first two Godfather films and The Shawshank Redemption.”  This may be true, but Woods has also come back to the defense of Marvel by saying that “despite the extraordinary quality of The Dark Knight Trilogy, in the same amount of time that it’s taken DC to create 20 films, Marvel has to lead the way with 36 films!”

“I think they both have good animation” Sophomore Dorothy Fleetwood said. This is an example that shows how both Marvel and DC are both the most loved universes and always will be the most inspiring to everyone. Whether you think one is better than the other, both these universes recreate the original stories into something new and bring the comics back to life in the present. One thing we can agree on is that they are both trying to achieve the same goal and will do so by continuing to make these masterpieces. Maybe even combine the two universes?