Greenway Volleyball Has Got It All

Volleyball is Looking Strong

Kaitlyn Bennett

GREENWAY VOLLEYBALL HAS GOT IT ALL

Greenway’s stands are filled with cheering students. The team is fired up and well trained to take on their opponents. 

As of October 5th, Greenway’s varsity team is 7-2 on the season. Freshman Tatum Peterson and Senior Tatum Parrott are leading the team offensively. Tatum Peterson has 209 assists, 149 of those assists are to Tatum Parrott who is also leading the team with 22 aces. Not to mention senior Sierra Cornell is leading the defense with 121 digs. The crowd really doesn’t have time to sit down and relax, because senior Genna Villegas is also leading the team with 15 blocks. There has yet to be a dull audience while Greenway volleyball is the spectacle.

“We just went undefeated and won the Ceil Billings Tournament that we have hosted for the past 20 years,” head coach Sarah Peterson said. 

The energy at Greenway’s games is unmatchable. Freshman Ricky Valdez loves going to the games. “They are just so hype,” Valdez said. Sophomore Ann Kissick said Greenway has an amazing upbeat spirit.

On 8/31, the Greenway varsity volleyball team lost their home non-conference match against Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ) by a score of 3-0.

On 9/8, the Greenway varsity volleyball team won their away non-conference match against (Cactus (Glendale, AZ) by a score of 3-2.

On 9/9, the Greenway varsity volleyball team lost their away non-conference match against Deer Valley (Glendale, AZ) by a score of 3-1.

On 9/11, the Greenway varsity volleyball team won their neutral tournament match against Paradise Valley (Phoenix, AZ) by a score of 2-1.

“I enjoy playing Greenway volleyball because I’ve grown up watching Greenway play, and my love for the sport has grown ever since. We’re all just one big family, which makes everything a lot more fun, and makes us stronger as a team in general,” Freshman Tatum Peterson said. Peterson also said that the competitiveness of the sport is one of the best parts and contributes to the luster of each win.

Unfortunately, due to Covid regulations a few players on Greenway’s volleyball team were out sick, and led to the whole team having to quarantine themselves from practicing until further notice. Luckily, the team is healthy once again and back in peak form.

“Tatum Parrot’s serves are the scariest thing I have ever seen,” Freshman Taylor Borup said.

“The cheers that the audience got to take part in were so awesome,” Sophomore Jenna Musselwhite said.

Greenway is currently on a win streak having swept Shadow Mountain and Moon Valley. It’s going to be fun to see how far these ladies can go this year.